Safety First Consulting has received our IHSA Working at Heights training provider number.
Beginning April 1, 2015, employers in Ontario must ensure that workers on construction projects who may use certain methods of fall protection successfully complete ‘working at heights’ training that meets training program and provider standards established by the Chief Prevention Officer (CPO).
If a worker has completed training before April 1, 2015 that met the requirements of section 26.2 of O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects), that worker will have until April 1, 2017 to complete an approved working at heights training program that is delivered by an approved training provider.
The Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training Regulation (Ontario Regulation 297/13) under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), has been amended to include mandatory working at heights training requirements. The working at heights training is valid for three years from the date the worker completes an approved training program delivered by an approved training provider.
Employers with workers who are required by O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects) to use any of the fall protection methods listed above must do the following to ensure they comply with the new training requirements:
- ensure the worker completes a working at heights training program that has been approved by the CPO as having met the Working at Heights Training Program Standard applicable at the time of the training;
- ensure the training provider delivering the training program was approved by the CPO as having met the Working at Heights Training Provider Standard applicable at the time of training;
- ensure the worker’s training is valid and has not expired;
- maintain a training record for the worker that includes the worker’s name, the approved training provider’s name, the date the training was completed and the name of the approved training program; and
- make the training record available to a Ministry of Labour inspector on request.*Above information taken directly from the Ministry of Labour Website
If you have any questions about Working at Heights training and your obligations under this new legislation, call Safety First Consulting today 905-669-5444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .